Photo from Katerina Hickey,Katerina Designs
There is a huge range of furniture styles, quality and price in Makati. Many companies will make to your order, which normally takes about one month, and most will deliver, within a few days, for a small charge.
Liz Davies suggested the following magazines as useful resources for furniture and furnishings:- Metro Home, My Home and Real Living. They are so useful for finding out where to buy furniture and accent pieces. Bear in mind that the local furniture is usually built to local ergonomics, and therefore smaller than western style furniture. But having said that, the My Home store in SM has some classy looking pieces. Philux is a good store. Also Pampanga and Angeles City is "THE HUB" for furniture made of Abaca, wood and other natural materials. You can get everything from whole dining room and living room sets, swings, outdoor patio furniture to just the loungers and chairs. They also have special plastic that looks like Abaca but is all-weather. Also patio furniture that looks like rattan but is fibreglass so much lighter and sturdier. IGRI Sundaze Furniture is one of these.
- Anson, One of the best electrical appliances shops is Anson, the most central being the fancy glass building next to the Shangri La Hotel.
- Blims Many outlets which import good quality furniture such as LAZYBOY, a central one is at Glorietta 2nd Level, Glorietta 1, Ayala Center, Makati City, Tel. (63 2) 867-2350 to 51
- Bo Concept is in Bonifacio High street in the Fort area and has very expensive but beautiful and high quality imported designer furniture from northern Europe.
- Borders has several outlets but the main one is at Ground Floor Warehouse 1c, La Fuerva Compound, 2241 Pasong Tamo (new address, the web site is out of date) ext, (+63.2) 8932908, (+63.2) 8932905 , Very nice furniture â€“ well worth a visit.
- Design Ligna A designer furniture shop called Designs Ligna where you can have bespoke furniture made as well as a good range of designs Several outlet but the main shop at - Level 3, Greenbelt 5 Ayala Center, Makati City; Tel : 632.729.1025; Email : greenbelt_sales at designsligna.com
- Dimensione, Bonifacio High Street, Fort Bonifacio. A sprawling store for contemporary brands such as Magis and Umbra
- Ethan Allen ( American Brand - also pricey but good quality); Pioneer Street Mandaluyong City, tel: 6348587
- Focolare is a carpentry training center which will make bespoke furniture to your requirements and they have a small sales area. Address: Don Celso S. Tuazon Ave., Valley Golf, Cainta, Rizal; Tels: 6584819, 6581244, 6580043; Fax: 6581761; Email: focolareftc at gmail.com; Website: www.focolarefctc.com Be aware that the furniture can take up to 6 weeks to be made but is good quality and very reasonably priced. Janet also advises that "The Valley Golf is the key bit of the address. You turn down that road and then it's on the right. They open weekdays and Saturday am, or at least they did!"
- Forty Winks for beds, mattresses and sheets, many outlets but try Paseo-Legaspi Branch, 108 Pioneer House paseo de Roxas St. Legazpi Village, San Lorenzo, Just next to Greenbelt. Store Hours: 10am - 9pm, Phone (+632) 893-94-06 / (+632) 893-96-82; Fax (+632) 893-94-12; Mail info at fortywinks.com
- Greenhills market top floor which has Asian antiques at competitive prices. Of course this market is better known for its pearls, handbags, shoes and other jewellery.
- Heima Home and Lifestyle store, HG/F Shop 33, Cubao Expo, Quezon City.Tel: 917 561 HEIM ( 4346 ).Email : inquire at heimastore.com.
- IGRI Sundaze Furniture is in Angeles City. They make indoor/outdoor furniture made of fibreglass that looks like rattan. Apparently these tables and chairs are indestructible and have a life time guarantee(but remember that guarantees might not be what you are used to back home!). You can order in any color you like and the designs are very flexible as well. You can contact Lance at igri_inclark at yahoo.com.au, tel: 45-499-0946 or mobile: 0919212-4207.
- IKEA Yes this is a European company but you can order and it is delivered about one month later - a bit off the beaten track. 4977 Enrique St. Palanan, Makati City; Mob:0917-8131201; Tel. no. 02-833-5590
- Katerina Designs is a furniture business set up by Katerina Hickey. She first started with exporting furniture but now has opened her business locally. She has good quality furniture and also does custom designed ones. Email- info at katerinadesigns.com
- Komodo Manila is the teak shop in town. The main showroom is at FMF Compound, 126 Pioneer Street, Mandaluyong City, Tel/Fax 636 3640; Tel 631 1221; email inquiry at komodo-online.com. They have a branch in LRI Plaza, Makati as well ( see below).
- LRI Plaza - There are many good quality and interesting furniture shops and art galleries in LRI Plaza, 210 Nicanor Garcia St, Bel Air II. Nearly all these shops will make bespoke furniture for you or have catalogues for you to choose from. Some of them are â€“
- 1. Komodo teak Furniture- tel:4030677
- 2. Isa Kasa Designer furniture; tel: 8959187
- 3. Luzon Rattan Industries Inc.; tel: 8901188
- 4. Biara Inc. â€“ tel: 8905443
- 5. Sihalis Arts and Artifacts; tel :8982125
- 6. Simply Asian - tel: 4030177
- N.D.Eesel Woodcrafts, makers of fine furniture, particularly pretty children's furniture in bright colours. Contact Narciso J Diangson Tel: (045) 889 2449; Mob: 09179536507
- Orientique Many antique pieces but specialises in teak furniture from Indonesia and India) +639274035496, Just off EDSA and Behind Robinsons. Ring and get your driver to ask for directions â€“ tel: 7466839 ( Sheridan Street, Mandaluyong), Tel:7711062(Alabang)
- Philux makes good quality furniture out of sustainable pine from Australia- one months order. There are many outlets, one of the larger being in Mega Mall Ortigas.
- Our Home - is located in most shopping malls. There is one branch in Megamall and another in Mall of Asia.
- Progress Home and office furniture. Particularly good for a wide range of office furniture and used by several embassies. Address: corner Sheridan and Pines sts., Mandaluyong city; Tel: 746 7720; Tel/Fax 637 4497 or 637 4498; email prgsheridan at yahoo.com
- Regalong Pambhay (6372191); FMF Compound, 126 Pioneer Street. Filipino furnishings and gift items.
- Roomscape ( also in Nicanor Garcia St, but not in LRI plaza) has good quality furniture and is well worth a visit; tel: 8907246
- Ruby Nazir's GalleryNoble house for Chinese antique furniture, pricey but some of the best quality in town. At 84 Zodiac St., Gate 9 Bel Air 4 Village, Makati City; TeleFax: 4039296; e-mail: noblehouse at pldtdsl.net; Website: www.rubynazir.com ( also in LRI Plaza) tel: 8127005
- Rustanâ€™s Depatment Store, Shangri-la Plaza, EDSA cor Shaw Boulevard( for table ware bedding and chic furniture)
- SM For basic furniture at best prices go to SM (Shoe Mart). There are many SM shops including a large store near Glorietta. The fourth floor has furniture on one side and household goods on the other. This is a one stop shop for everything BASIC that you will need for a house â€“ furniture, crockery, cutlery, linens, towels, pillows, pans, plastic ware etc etc.. SM also has a separate appliance shop on this floor which is a good place to see what is available.
- True Value, Shangri-la Plaza and many other outlet - homeware, gardening and other hardware items.
- 2:TOTS is a new company making co-ordinated children's furniture and bedroom accessories. They have sturdy well made beds, changing stands, bench seats and bookshelves etc. plus very pretty sets of quilts, wall hangings, cushions, bumpers and everything that you will need. email them at twotots at gmail.com. Their website is great.
- Shack Furniture makes good quality mahogany and other solid wood furniture to your specifications. Call Aida Flores on 09209222038 *Tiendesitas An open market on C5 which houses unusual local and Asian furniture.